DESIGN TOOLS & RESOURCES:
- EE Times | Electronic Engineering Times | Connecting the Global Electronics Community
- EE Times connects the global electronics community through news, analysis, education, and peer-to-peer discussion around technology, business, products and design.
- KiCAD – Open source Schematic, PCB Layout, BOM, PCB analysis tools, 3D rendering, Gerber viewer
- KiCAD Schematic Decal Wizard – Tool for quick autocreation of KiCAD schematic decals (need one for PCB footprints) 🙂
- KiCAD Librarian
- Eagle PCB – Schematic, PCB Layout, BOM, PCB analysis tools, 3D rendering, Gerber viewer (?)
- gEDA – Open source Schematic, PCB Layout, BOM, other features (?)
- Mentor Graphics – Schematic, PCB Layout, BOM, PCB analysis tools, 3D rendering, Gerber viewer
- gerbv – Gerbv is a viewer for Gerber RS-274X files, Excellon drill files, and CSV pick-and-place files.
- CAM350 – Great gerber viewer/editor, but it’s not free.
- GC-Prevue – Another good gerber viewer/editor. Free version allows viewing, paid version allows editing.
- Schematics.com – Schematics is the language of electronics. It provides a concise and comprehensive diagrammatic description of a circuit. Schematics.com allows users to connect and share designs and ideas in a like-minded community
- ASCII Encoding – The Ultimate Guide to ASCII Encoding
- Online Components – The Online Distributor of Electronic Components
- 3D Content Central – A huge online library of 3D models of various electronic and mechanical components.
LCD IMAGE CONVERSION UTILITIES:
- GIMP – The Free & Open Source Image Editor
- ResourceCollectionTool – Used to convert 96×96 color bitmaps to hex tables for the HEXIWEAR.
- bmp2hex – Utility for converting bitmap images to various digital RGB data tables for microcontrollers.
- imagedog – Utility for converting monochrome images to digital pixel data tables for microcontrollers.
- bmp2asm – Utility for converting monochrome images to digital pixel data tables for microcontrollers.
- LCD Tools for Windows from Electronics Assembly. Direct link here.
- fastlcd from Amontec. Direct link here.
- bmp-lcd – BMP to LCD 128×64 Converter for ST7565
- Bitmap2LCD – Graphic Programming Tool for small Graphic LCD
SERIAL PORT UTILITIES:
- RealTerm – Loads of features. One of the best terminal emulators I have run across.
- Terminal – Loads of features. Does real-time graphing of serial data. Supports scripting.
- CoolTerm – Simple to use, fewer features than RealTerm, but a very nice terminal emulator.
- TeraTerm – Another simple terminal emulator.
- uCon – Another terminal emulator with more of a GUI look/feel than PuTTY.
- PuTTY – Very simplistic & nice. No install required, so no admin rights required to run.
- hyperterm – The classic and probably most widely known/used terminal emulator that Windows decided to drop after XP.
- portMon – Great port listener and data display. Shows activity on the serial port at a system-level, such as port open/closed, data sent/received, and timestamps (Win XP only, but works great otherwise).
- SerialChart – Displays ASCII data in the data view window, while parsing and plotting ASCII numeric data in real-time. The parsing engine is very configurable via simple script.
- DatPlot – For plotting captured data (post-process, not real-time)
PROTOTYPING SUPPLY RESOURCES: